I decided to mimic this dish, except with beef meatballs and Greek salad without feta cheese (lactose intolerance totally kicking in).
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- a couple cloves of crushed garlic
- 1/4 of a grated red onion
- handful of chopped parsley
- handful of Italian bread crumbs
- handful of chopped basil
- an egg
- tsp or so of worchestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
Success! Browned balls to perfection!
For the lemon rice, my friend Bianca mentioned these ingredients:
- cup of white rice (you can probably use basmati rice)
- cup and a half of water
- lemon zest from one lemon
- 1/2 of that lemon juice
- tsp of olive oil
- salt to taste
- chopped parsley for plating
Can you see a bit of the lemon zest? I added a bit more for presentation after fluffing the rice with the chopped parsley. If you can't see the yellow zestiness, perhaps this brown girl needs an actual camera...ahem, little sister Kristine, Ate put this on her bday wish list. Thanks!
Finally, I created my Greek salad with these ingredients:
- romaine lettuce
- English cucumbers (this one is because it reminded me of Rachel when I was at the store)
- a combo of different olives from the Vons olive section
- balsamic vinaigrette
- salt and pepper to taste
Pretty colors. Me likey.
And here's the combo package:
I only had what was on this plate. Definitely operation moderation. I mean, I snacked a few pieces of pita bread and tomato basil hummus while all this was cooking, so my belly was prepped to eat a well portioned dinner. =) But, I did slather on some of that hummus on top of the meatballs. I learned that from the hummus queen.
p.s. The best thing about this dish, leftovers for a work lunch. Sweet!