Saturday, February 6, 2010

Cafe Stella gets an "A"

Last Saturday, I enjoyed brunch with my friend Chris. We met up at the Silverlake junction and after a bit of scoping, landed at Cafe Stella. I have been meaning to check this place out for some time now, but the "stellar" prices always detered me. Fortunately, this time thanks to my indecisive state of mind, Chris wanted to make an appearance despite the pricey-ness.

So putting price on the side, we decided to live it up. This meant that I didn't just order plain water as a beverage, I actually ordered a $5+ soy latte. I don't think I'm a cheapskate when it comes to a good meal, but I was reluctant to spend that much money until I saw this:














Presentation is totally key, so when this pretty, and quite large, cup of latte was placed before me, cinco dolares sorta made it worth it.

There were a few things on the menu that I couldn't decide on, but eventually, I gave into my craving and opted for the eggs benedict. This was a beautifully presented dish, but sadly, it didn't look like very much, so I had to order a side of toast.















Photo of toast not taken...I also forgot to take photos of Chris' bubbly mimosa and his chicken apple sausage dish that included toast and eggs, and I think potatoes. I was a bit jealous he had more foods on his plate than me, but in the end, it didn't matter because I was definitely full and the eggs benedict were so bomb diggity! This dish had thinly sliced criss cut potatoes on the bottom that looked like those from Carl's Jr, but so much better. Then the next layer had crispy bacon, not ham (thank god!), topped with poached eggs and a really light, not too creamy, hollandaise sauce. It was really delicious and I think if there were 3 servings instead of 2, I would not have needed the toast for filler.

Conclusion: Cafe Stella is a great little hidden jem at the Silverlake junction because of its ambiance and flavorful breakfast dishes. It was a bit pricey for my taste given the amount. I suppose my comparison of quantity comes from going to breakfast places where they give an enourmous amount of food that could feed a mini village in the Philippines. I vow to try this place again next time, but for a lunch or dinner outing instead of brunch. I may just be pleasantly surprised the next time, so I'm keeping an open mind. So, despite the price, I'd like to say, "Cafe Stella, you get an 'A' in presentation and taste!" (Even though this was more than what I would normally spend on a breakfast, I was not disappointed.)

1 comment:

  1. im all about presentation...the latte looks awesome. i love that you were jealous of who had the bigger portion - THATS MY GIRL!!! hahaha

    ReplyDelete