Thursday, June 3, 2010

Kuya's Brussel Sprout Salad

I made an appearance at Fresh 'N Easy the other day and I came upon a bag of brussel sprouts. To be honest, I've never purchased brussel sprouts before because I've always had it at restaurants or at Ate P and Ate B's place. Braving it up, I put it in my basket.

When I got home, I wasn't really sure how I would prepare it, so I sent massive texts to my sister and cousins for suggestions. My Kuya totally came through. His suggestion was to create a salad with the leaves instead of sauteeing it like I've had it in the past.

Ingredients:
  • brussel sprouts
  • crushed garlic
  • mushrooms
  • nuts (I used pine nuts and walnuts)
  • dried cranberries
  • S&P
  • kalamansi juice (lemon juice or lime juice will work)
Cut the bottoms off the brussel sprouts to make it easier on peeling the leaves off.
Easy peasy...But not all the leaves come off all the way, so the leftover brussels, I saved and will use for another dish. Way to be green, right?
Beautiful and leafy.
Sautee the garlic with the broken pieces of mushrooms and crushed nuts.
Then add the dried cranz...I know it looks the same, but whatevs...
Then throw the brussel sprouts leaves just before you turn off the burner. Plate. Add freshly cracked salt and pepper, and squeeze the kalamansi juice and dig in! Refreshing, delicious and total Filipino mama approved. I dare you to try it, you will not be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. This looks so delicious. I have just started hammering the brussel sprouts - and seriously, I don't know why I hadn't earlier - they go with everything! YUM.

    ReplyDelete